For all applications the General Guidelines for Film Submission and Participation apply.
1 - Eligibility
Accepted formats: DCP, 35mm or 70mm (depending on the theatre). Other formats only upon request.
Eligible are feature films of at least 70 minutes running time which
- are intended for theatrical release.
- have not participated at any international film festival. A presentation at national showcases in the country of origin will be tolerated.
- have not been released commercially other than in their country of origin.
- have neither been presented on television nor on the internet / VOD.
In case of international co-productions the main country of production will be considered as country of origin.
- World premieres are preferred.
- German films must be world premieres (with the exception of submissions to Perspektive Deutsches Kino).
The Festival Director reserves the right to rule on any cases not provided for in these guidelines.
2 - Selection process and programming
The Festival Director invites films to participate in the International Competition. The Director is advised by German and international professionals. Any film submitted for the Competition may be considered for the Panorama unless specifically instructed otherwise by the applicant.
3 - Languages and subtitles
All films invited to participate in the Competition are screened in their original language with German and English subtitles.
The film’s producer is responsible for meeting the costs of subtitling and providing the subtitled version on time.
The version released in the country of origin is regarded as the original version. In the case of films in several languages, the language of the subtitles may only deviate from this directive with the Festival’s approval.