For all applications the General Guidelines for Film Submission and Participation apply.
1 – Eligibility
Eligible films for Forum are feature films and documentaries of at least 60 minutes running time which
- have not been released in Europe other than in their country of origin.
- have not been screened at any other German or European film festival. A presentation at national festivals / national showcases in the country of origin will be accepted.
- have neither been broadcast nor presented on the internet / VOD other than in their country of origin.
- are available in the formats DCP, QuickTime ProRes 422 or 35mm (depending on the theatre). Other formats only upon request.
- are meant to be released in film theatres.
In case of international co-productions the main country of production will be considered as country of origin.
- World premieres are preferred.
- German films must be world premieres (with the exception of submissions to Perspektive Deutsches Kino).
The head of the Forum section reserves the right to settle any cases not covered by the regulations.
Forum Expanded is curated by the Forum upon invitation only and does not receive submissions.
2 – Selection and programming
The head of the Forum selects films in consensus with the selection committee.
3 – Subtitling
Films selected for the Forum are shown in their original version with English subtitles. It is recommended that a second version with German subtitles be made available to the festival.
The cost of subtitling is the responsibility of the filmmaker. In special cases, the Forum may grant financial support to cover the cost of subtitling into German.
4 – Shipping
Selection screeners material intended for the Forum should be sent to the address of the Berlin International Film Festival or directly to the Forum address:
Potsdamer Straße 2
Tel. + 49 30 26955200
Fax + 49 30 26955222