For all applications the General Guidelines for Film Submission and Participation apply.
Eligible for Generation are feature-length films of at least 60 minutes running time as well as short films with a maximum running time of 20 minutes, which
- have not been screened at any European film festival. A presentation at festivals in the country of origin will be tolerated. A presentation at an online festival is permitted if the streamings were only accessible outside of Europe / in the country of origin (geoblocking).
- have not been released in Europe other than in their country of origin.
- have neither been broadcast nor presented on the internet/VOD other than in their country of origin.
- were completed within the 12 months prior to the start of the festival. Re-submissions are not eligible.
- are available in the formats DCP or QuickTime ProRes. 35mm or other formats only upon request.
- German films applying for Generation need to be a European premiere as minimum requirement and may not have been presented publicly in Germany (festival, theatrical release, TV, Internet, VOD).
In case of international co-productions the main country of production will be considered as country of origin.
- World premieres are preferred (general information on premiere status).
The Artistic Director of the festival reserves the right to rule on any cases not provided for in these guidelines.
2. Selection and Programming
The Artistic Director of the festival and the head of Generation invite films to participate in Generation. The section head decides in which competition of the section a selected film will be programmed.
3. Language Version and Subtitles
All selected films are screened in their original version with English subtitles. The producer is required to meet the costs of subtitling. The version released or planned for release in the country of origin is regarded as the original version.
Generation Kplus films will be presented with an additional German voice-over performed by professional speakers. For this reason, a complete dialogue list in the original language must be supplied for every film invited to this competition.