For all applications the General Guidelines for Film Submission and Participation apply.
Accepted formats: DCP or QuickTime ProRes. 35mm or other formats only upon request.
Eligible are feature films and documentaries of at least 60 minutes running time which
- are intended for theatrical release.
- have not participated at any international film festival. A presentation in the country of origin will be tolerated. A presentation at an online festival is permitted if the streamings were only accessible in the country of origin (geoblocking).
- have not been released commercially other than in their country of origin.
- have neither been presented on television nor on the internet/VOD.
In case of international co-productions the main country of production will be considered as country of origin.
- World premieres are preferred (general information on premiere status).
- German films have to be world premieres to be eligible for the Competition.
The Artistic Director of the festival reserves the right to rule on any cases not provided for in these guidelines.
2. Selection process and programming
The Artistic Director of the festival invites films to participate in the Competition. He is advised by German and international professionals. Any film submitted for the Competition may be considered for Encounters and for the Panorama unless specifically instructed otherwise by the applicant.
3. Languages and subtitles
All films invited to participate in the Competition are screened in their original language with German and English subtitles. The film’s producer is responsible for meeting the costs of subtitling and providing the subtitled version on time.
The version released in the country of origin is regarded as the original version. In the case of films in several languages, the language of the subtitles may only deviate from this directive with the Festival’s approval.