For all applications the General Guidelines for Film Submission and Participation apply.
Eligible for Competition are feature films and documentaries of at least 60 minutes running time, which
- have not participated at any international film festival. A presentation in the country of origin will be tolerated. A presentation at an online festival is permitted if the streamings were only accessible in the country of origin (geoblocking).
- have not been released theatrically or presented publicly other than in their country of origin.
- have neither been presented on television nor on the internet/VOD.
- were completed within the 12 months prior to the start of the festival. Re-submissions are not eligible.
- are available in the formats DCP or QuickTime ProRes. 35mm or other formats only upon request.
- are intended for theatrical release.
- German films have to be world premieres to be eligible for Competition.
In case of international co-productions the main country of production will be considered as country of origin.
- World premieres are preferred (general information on premiere status).
The Artistic Director of the festival reserves the right to rule on any cases not provided for in these guidelines.
2. Selection and Programming
The Artistic Director of the festival invites films to participate in Competition. The Artistic Director is advised by an international selection committee.
3. Language Version and Subtitles
All films invited to participate in Competition are screened in their original language with German and English subtitles. The film’s producer is responsible for meeting the costs of subtitling and providing the subtitled version on time.
The version released in the country of origin is regarded as the original version. In the case of films in several languages, the language of the subtitles may only deviate from this directive with the festival’s approval.