With support from the ACP (African, Caribbean and Pacific Group of States), the World Cinema Fund launched the WCF ACP programme in 2020.
The WCF ACP provides an additional financing opportunity for projects from WCF and ACP regions/countries. It supplements financing for projects that have been recommended for funding by the WCF or WCF Africa jury. Thus, production funding granted to these projects can be doubled or even tripled.
For example: A project receives 40,000 Euros from WCF Africa. With the additional support from WCF ACP, the total amount can be increased to 120,000 Euros. The WCF/WCF Africa jury is responsible for approving these additional funds.
Who can apply?
Companies from the ACP regions/countries can apply if, at the time of application, they can prove they are collaborating with a director from the same region, and by the time of contracting will be co-producing with a production company from the ACP regions/countries.
Please note that the maximum cumulative amount a project can receive through ACP funding institutions (including, for example, CNC and OIF besides the Berlinale WCF) is 200,000 Euros.
The WCF will contract with German co-producers and production companies from the ACP or other regions/countries who can prove a co-production with the applicant.
To receive production support from the WCF it is necessary that the respective film’s script must be production ready, there should be financing in place and principal photography must begin, at the latest, within nine months of the funding submission deadline.
Projects submitted to the WCF Classic and WCF Africa that are eligible for a top-up funding through WCF ACP will automatically be considered for such. It is not possible to apply directly for a top-up funding through WCF ACP. Project submissions are to be made through the WCF Classic and WCF Africa programmmes.
- Funding is available for projects that, from the submission stage, involve a collaboration between a director from an ACP region/country and local/international producer. The projects have to present a co-production partnership, after a positive funding recommendation, of at least three entities. The number of ACP entities as part of the partnership shall always be equal to or higher than the number of entities of other nationalities.
- The support is a complementary contribution to the previously granted funds of the WCF or WCF Africa funding programmes, which allows to double or triple the amount granted up to a maximum of 120,000 Euros.
- The total production costs of the supported projects should range between 200,000 Euros and 1,400,000 Euros.
- The contracting partner of the WCF ACP top-up funding can be one of the companies which is part of the co-production partnership.
- The funding must be spent on the production of the film in the WCF ACP eligible regions/countries that are part of the co-production.
Africa: Angola, Benin, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, Cape Verde, Central African Republic, Chad, Comoros, Congo, Côte d'Ivoire, Democratic Republic of Congo, Djibouti, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Gabon, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Kenya, Lesotho, Liberia, Madagascar, Malawi, Mali, Mauritius, Mauritania, Mozambique, Namibia, Niger, Nigeria, Rwanda, Sao Tome and Principe, Senegal, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Somalia, South Africa, South Sudan, Sudan, Swaziland, Tanzania, Togo, Uganda, Zambia and Zimbabwe.
Note: South Africa is eligible as a co-producer, but not as a bonus applicant.
Caribbean: Antigua and Barbuda, Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Dominica, Grenada, Guyana, Haiti, Jamaica, Dominican Republic, Saint Christopher and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and Grenadines, Suriname, Trinidad and Tobago.
Pacific: Cook Islands, Fiji, Kiribati, Marshall Islands, Micronesia, Nauru, Niue, Palau, Papua New Guinea, Samoa, Solomon, Timor-Leste, Tonga, Tuvalu, Vanuatu.
WCF ACP and other funding
The ACP complementary funds, which are also provided by the DEENTAL-ACP (CNC), CLAP-ACP (Organisation internationale de la Francophonie) grant programs, are also cumulative up to a maximum of 200,000 Euros per project.