European Film Market & Co-Production Market
Jan 15, 2020
Berlinale Co-Production Market Brings 36 International Feature Film Projects Into Play
The 17th Berlinale Co-Production Market (February 22-26) highlights 36 feature film projects from 34 countries, whose producers are looking for co-production partners. This is the place to meet international co-producers, representatives of film funds, world sales and TV broadcasters, distributors and financiers from all over the world in 1,500 pre-organised one-on-one meetings.
Filmmakers such as Adina Pintilie, Milko Lazarov, Pepa San Martín, Simon Jaquemet, Mariana Rondón, Radu Jude, Kasia Rosłaniec or John Trengove, whose previous feature films were already part of the Berlinale programme, some having received Bears, are presenting new projects as well as debutants whose short films have won international awards e.g. Carlota Pereda or Carolina Markowicz or the Berlinale Kompagnon–Fellowship winner Ana-Felicia Scutelnicu.
For the official project selection, 21 feature film projects with budgets ranging from 750,000 to 5 million € were selected from 302 different submissions. With eleven projects by female directors, the proportion here has exceeded 50% for the first time. A total of 15 female directors’ projects are represented in the selection, i.e. 41.7%.
In the “Berlinale Directors” section, three projects by Berlinale directors will be presented in early funding stages. Two other film projects are looking for partners at both CineMart Rotterdam and the Berlinale Co-Production Market in the framework of “Rotterdam-Berlinale Express”.
At the “Talent Project Market”, which is organised in cooperation with Berlinale Talents, ten newcomer producers will present their projects, which have been selected from a total of 166 submissions.
The companies in the “Company Matching” programme with which the participants can also request individual meetings in order to exchange ideas on a structural level or on the basis of project slates, come from Argentina, Croatia, Denmark, France and South Africa.
The main supporters of the Berlinale Co-Production Market are the MDM - Mitteldeutsche Medienförderung and the Creative Europe - MEDIA programme of the European Union.
The Berlinale Co-Production Market is part of the European Film Market. Another cooperation partner and the main venue is the Berlin House of Representatives.
Official Project Selection Berlinale Co-Production Market 2020
(in alphabetical order of the production companies):
- Electric Child (D: Simon Jaquemet), 8horses, Switzerland
- Skin of Youth (D: Ash Mayfair), An Nam Productions, Vietnam & Mayfair Pictures, USA
- Toll (D: Carolina Markowicz), Biônica Filmes, Brazil & O Som e A Furia, Portugal
- Sweet Lips (D: Tusi Tamasese), Blueskin Films, New Zealand
- Antonia’s Garden (D: Christine Repond), Contrast Film, Switzerland
- Boldstar (D: Antoinette Jadaone), Epicmedia & Project 8 Projects, Philippines
- There Are Two Kinds of People in This World (D: Onur Saylak), Liman Film & b.i.t Arts, Turkey
- Reflection (D: Valentyn Vasyanovych), Limelite & Arsenal Films, Ukraine
- Salt Lake (D: Kasia Rosłaniec), Mañana, Poland
- Happiness (D: Pepa San Martín), Manufactura de Películas, Chile & Aleph Cine, Argentina
- Let The River Flow! (D: Ole Giæver), Mer Film, Norway
- Happy Lovers (D: Hicham Lasri), Moon A Deal, France & La Prod, Morocco
- Piggy (D: Carlota Pereda), Morena Films, Spain
- Winterreise (D: Alex Helfrecht), Oiffy, United Kingdom
- The Long Run (D: Andrea Magnani), Pilgrim, Italy
- Life of a Great Director (D: Philippe Lesage), Productions l'unité Centrale, Canada
- Bedsitterland (D: Nick Kelly), Samson Films, Ireland
- The Melting (D: Veerle Baetens), Savage Film, Belgium
- Zafari (D: Mariana Rondon), Sudaca Films, Peru & Venezuela & Klaxon, Brazil
- A House in the Country (D: Davi Pretto), Vulcana Cinema, Brazil
- Transit Times (D: Ana-Felicia Scutelnicu), Weydemann Bros, Deutschland & Mobra Films, Romania
“Berlinale Directors” Projects:
- Death and the Maiden (D: Adina Pintilie), Manekino Film, Romania
- The Herd (D: Milko Lazarov), Red Carpet, Bulgaria
- Maret (D: Laura Schroeder), Red Lion, Luxembourg & Red Balloon, Germany
- Sleepwalkers (D: Radu Jude), Microfilm, Romania
- A Shadow Creeps in Silver Trees (D: John Trengove), Urucu Media, South Africa
“Talent Project Market” – Projects and Producer Talents
(in alphabetical order of the production companies):
- The Sky Is Mine (D: Deepak Rauniyar), Aadi Production (P: Deepak Rauniyar), Nepal
- Little Boy Blue (D: Tommaso Pitta), Bridge Way (P: Chris Hees), United Kingdom
- Hazel Eyes (D: Maria Ibrahimova), Cinex (P: Maria Ibrahimova), Azerbaijan
- Just (D: Jack Turits), Jack Turits Studio (P: Jack Turits), USA & Poland
- The Last Paradise on Earth (D: Sakaris Stórá), KYK Pictures (P: Jón Hammer), Faroe Islands
- Sahar (D: Vera Egito), Lacuna Filmes (P: Diana Almeida), Brazil
- Richelieu (D: Pier-Philippe Chevigny), Le Foyer Films (P: Geneviève Gosselin-G.), Canada
- Mariam (D: Hamza Bangash), Other Memory Media (P: Anam Abbas), Pakistan
- Faraway (D: Yorgos Zois), Squared Square (P: Antigoni Rota), Greece
- Crocodile Tears (D: Tumpal Tampubolon), Tanakhir Films (P: Mandy Marahimin), Indonesia
“Company Matching“ (in alphabetical order of the companies):
Big World Cinema, South Africa
Cinéma Defacto, France
Rei Cine, Argentina
January 15, 2020