For all applications the General Guidelines for Film Submission and Participation apply.
1 – Eligibility
Accepted formats: DCP or QuickTime ProRes. 35mm or other formats only upon request.
Eligible for Generation are:
Feature-length films (at least 60 minutes running time) and
short films (maximum length of 20 minutes) which
- have not been released in Europe (for European films: except country of origin, this does not apply for German films).
- have not been screened at any European film festival; a presentation at film festivals in the country of origin will be accepted (except for German films).
- have neither been broadcast nor presented on the internet / VOD other than in their country of origin (except for German films).
In case of international co-productions the main country of production will be considered as country of origin.
- World premieres are preferred.
- German films applying for Generation need to be a European premiere as minimum requirement and may not have been presented publicly in Germany (festival, theatrical release, TV, Internet, VOD).
The Artistic Director of the festival reserves the right to rule on any cases not provided for in these guidelines.
2 – Selection and programming
After consultation with the section head, the Artistic Director of the festival invites films to participate in the Generation section. The section head also decides in which competition of the section a selected film will be programmed and receives advice and assistance from a selection committee.
3 – Version and subtitles
All selected films are screened in their original version with English subtitles. The producer is required to meet the costs of subtitling. The version released or planned for release in the country of origin is regarded as the original version.
Generation Kplus films will be presented with an additional German voice-over performed by professional speakers. For this reason, a complete dialogue list in the original language must be supplied for every film invited to this competition.