For all applications the General Guidelines for Film Submission and Participation apply.
1 – Eligibility
Eligible films for Forum are feature films and documentaries of at least 60 minutes running time which
- have not been released in Europe other than in their country of origin.
- have not been screened at any other German or European film festival. A presentation at in the country of origin will be accepted (that does not apply for German films).
- have neither been broadcast nor presented on the internet / VOD other than in their country of origin (except German films).
- are available in the formats DCP or QuickTime ProRes. 35mm or other formats only upon request.
- are meant to be released in film theatres.
In case of international co-productions the main country of production will be considered as the country of origin.
- World premieres are preferred.
- German films applying for Forum need to be a European premiere as minimum requirement and may not have been presented publicly in Germany (festival, theatrical release, TV, Internet, VOD).
The head of the Forum section reserves the right to settle any cases not covered by the regulations.
Forum Expanded is a curated programme upon invitation only and does not receive submissions.
2 – Selection and programming
The head of the Forum selects films in consensus with the selection committee.
3 – Versions and subtitling
Films selected for the Forum are shown in their original version with English subtitles. A second version with German subtitles would be appreciatetd but is not obligatory.
In special cases, the Forum may grant financial support to cover the cost of subtitling into German.
4 - Shipping
Selection screeners material intended for the Forum should be sent to the address of the Berlin International Film Festival or directly to the Forum address:
Potsdamer Straße 2
Tel. + 49 30 26955200
Fax + 49 30 26955222