Prizes of the International Jury
The most important awards at the Berlinale are the Golden Bear and the Silver Bears. They are presented by the International Jury to films in the Competition and belong to the most renowned awards in the international film industry.
The International Jury is selected every year by the Artistic Director and presents the following awards:
- Golden Bear for Best Film (awarded to the film’s producers)
- Silver Bear Grand Jury Prize
- Silver Bear for Best Director
- Silver Bear Jury Prize
- Silver Bear for Best Leading Performance
- Silver Bear for Best Supporting Performance
- Silver Bear for Best Screenplay
- Silver Bear for Outstanding Artistic Contribution
None of the Bears may be awarded ex aequo. The Jury may not award more than one prize to the same film, except in the case of the acting awards, which may be awarded in addition to any other prize (Golden Bear, Silver Bear Grand Jury Prize etc.).
In recent years, internationally recognised personalities from the world of film such as James Schamus, Wong Kar Wai, Mike Leigh, Isabella Rossellini, Werner Herzog, Tilda Swinton, Darren Aronofsky, Meryl Streep and Paul Verhoeven were invited to head the jury. Jury members include directors, actresses and actors as well as producers, but also writers and artists. One of the festive highpoints of every Berlinale is the presentation of the Bears on the penultimate day of the festival.