At the 13th edition of the Berlinale Co-Production Market (February 14 to 16, 2016), a select group of 36 new feature film projects from 29 different countries will be able to forge international co-production and financing partnerships. In addition, five renowned companies will be presented in the scope of the market’s exclusive company matching programme.
During the three-day event, producers have the chance to meet, in pre-arranged one-on-one meetings, interested potential partners from a participant pool composed of 500 producers and film financiers from all around the world.
From a total of 301 submissions, 20 promising feature film projects were chosen for the official selection. These projects are all being developed by internationally experienced producers and have already secured domestic production support or at least 30 percent of their budget. Budgets for the projects range from 1 to 9.6 million euros.
In co-operation with CineMart Rotterdam, three projects have also been selected again for the “Rotterdam-Berlinale Express”. These projects will participate both at CineMart and at the Berlinale Co-Production Market.
The filmmakers of the 2015 Berlinale Residency programme will also be returning to Berlin in February: Fernando Eimbcke, Ella Manzheeva and Daniel Borgman will be back, together with their producers, to present the projects that they developed here last autumn.
At the “Talent Project Market”, which is organised in co-operation with Berlinale Talents, ten up-and-coming producers, chosen from a total of 152 applicants, will present their projects on the international market.
Among the directors of the selected projects are familiar names such as Ciro Guerra, whose Embrace of the Serpent was presented as a project at a past edition of the market and is shortlisted for this year’s Best Foreign Language Film at the Academy Awards, Jasmila Zbanic, winner of the Golden Bear in 2006, Irish director Mark Noonan, who presented his debut film You’re Ugly Too last year at the Berlinale in the Generation Kplus programme and is currently working on his second feature film, as well as a host of other equally acclaimed directors such as Diego Lerman, Oliver Schmitz, Brandon Cronenberg and Alvaro Brechner.
In addition to the meetings with potential partners, which are specifically co-ordinated to meet the participants’ concrete needs, projects also have the chance to win one of three awards at the event. In addition to the Eurimages Co-Production Development Award, with prize money of 20,000 euros, the VFF Talent Highlight Pitch Award, worth 10,000 euros, and the ARTE International Prize, worth 7,000 euros, will also be presented at the Berlinale Co-Production Market.
The five companies in the company matching programme hail from Brazil, Germany, France, Italy and Canada. The 500 other participants can also request one-on-one meetings with these companies to exchange information on a structural level or on the basis of project slates, and to start to consider long-term co-operations.
There are at least five films in the festival programme of the upcoming Berlinale that were presented as projects at the Berlinale Co-Production Market. These projects networked with partners for co-production, world sales, TV, distribution, and financing here in previous years: United States of Love by Tomasz Wasilewski is in Competition, while The Wounded Angel by Emir Baigazin, Remainder by Omer Fast, Aloys by Tobias Nölle, Uncle Howard by Aaron Brookner and Sand Storm by Elite Zexer are all being screened in Panorama.
The main partners of the Berlinale Co-Production Market are the MDM – Mitteldeutsche Medienförderung and Creative Europe – MEDIA, programme of the European Union.
The Berlinale Co-Production Market is a part of the European Film Market.
The Berlin House of Representatives, which is located right across from the European Film Market in the Martin-Gropius-Bau, will once again serve as a co-operation partner and main venue for the event.
Official Project Selection for Berlinale Co-Production Market 2016 (in alphabetical order according to production company):
- Hostages (D: Rezo Gigineishvili), 20 Steps Productions, Georgia
- The Little Comrade (D: Moonika Siimets), Amrion, Estonia
- A Sort of Family (D: Diego Lerman), Campo Cine, Argentina
- The Crooked Horn (D: Esmaeel Monsef), Caractères Productions & Alias Films, France
- Blind Willows, Sleeping Woman (D: Pierre Földes), Cinema Defacto, Frankreich & Proton Cinema, Hungary
- Srebrenica (D: Jasmila Zbanic), Deblokada, Bosnia and Herzegovina
- The Desert Bride (D: Cecilia Atán & Valeria Pivato), El Perro en la Luna, Argentinina & Ceibita Films, Chile
- Butterfingers (D: Barnaby Southcombe), Embargo Films, United Kingdom
- Vivarium (D: Lorcan Finnegan), Fantastic Films, Ireland
- Amundsen (D: Roar Uthaug), Friland Produksjon, Norway
- Invite Me to War (D: Shariff Korver), Lemming Film, Netherlands
- The Guest (D: Duccio Chiarini), Mood Film, Italy
- Outside (D: Michal Hogenauer), Negativ, Czech Republic
- Patrick (D: Gonçalo Waddington), O Som e a Fúria, Portugal
- Tyger, Tyger (D: Mark Noonan), Savage Productions, Ireland
- The Farm (D: Oliver Schmitz), Shadowy Meadows Productions, South Africa & Busse & Halberschmidt Filmproduktion, Germany
- Echo (D: Arati Kadav), Sikhya Entertainment, India
- A Small Small World (D: Philip Haucke), Sommerhaus Filmproduktion, Germany
- Memories from the Cell (D: Alvaro Brechner), Tornasol Films, Spain
- Bayonette (D: Kyzza Terrazas), Woo Films & Redrum, Mexico
„Rotterdam Berlinale Express“:
- Birds of Passage (D: Ciro Guerra), Ciudad Lunar & Blond Indian Films, Colombia
- Slam (D: Partho Sen-Gupta), Invisible Republic, Australia
- Bootlegger (D: Caroline Monnet), Microclimat Films, Canada
Projects of Berlinale Residency:
- Across the Fields (D: Daniel Borgman), Adomeit Film, Denmark
- Tachal (D: Ella Manzheeva), Anniko Films & Telesto Film Company, Russian Federation
- Diary of an Elephant (D: Fernando Eimbcke), Cinepantera, Mexico
„Talent Project Market“ (in alphabetical order according to production company):
- The Fading Light of Neon Boy (P: Jessica Luz), Besouro Filmes, Brazil
- From Grace (P: Gary Cranner), Chezville, Norway
- Lucid (P: Raquelle David), Damsel Pictures, Australia
- The Disappeared (P: Emine Yildirim), Giyotin Film, Turkey
- Summer 1993 (P: Valerie Delpierre), Inicia Films, Spain
- Money for a Funeral (P/D: Magdelena Ilieva), Little Wing Productions, Bulgaria
- Transmorphosis (P/D: Jakob M. Erwa), Mojo:Pictures, Germany
- The Moto Snatcher (P: Cecilia Salim), Murillo Cine, Argentina
- Tank (P: Max Serdiuk), Noosphere Films, Ukraine
- The Gospel According to My Father (P: Stav Meron), Pardes Films, Israel
Company Matching (in alphabetical oder of company):
Komplizen Film, Germany
Lucky Red, Italy
Memento Films, France
The Film Farm, Canada
January 14, 2016