Berlinale: Cinemas


The Festival Cinemas

Schloßstraße 48
12165 Berlin – Steglitz

Screens: 1
Seating capacity: 356
Screen size: 7,5m x 3,2m
The auditorium is accessible to wheelchairs / The bathroom is not accessible to wheelchairs

S-/U-Bahn Rathaus Steglitz S1, U9

The Adria Lichtspiele theatre was designed by the architect Hans Bielenberg in 1952. Both the box office and the foyer, which were last renovated in 1989 along with the auditorium, are kept in a 50's style with many lovingly preserved historical touches. Particularly noteworthy and one of a kind in Berlin is the historical advertising poster with the slogan “Enjoy yourself for a few hours – go to the Adria”, as well as the floor tiles and the blue carpet inscribed with the name of the theatre.

„Berlinale Goes Kiez“-Cinema 2014

Potsdamer Straße 2
10785 Berlin

Screens: 2
Seating capacity: 76 and 234
Screen size: 10 sqm and 32 sqm
Both screens have wheelchair access

U-/S-Bahn Potsdamer Platz
Bus M41, M48, 200

The Arsenal is the house cinema of the “Arsenal - Institute for Film and Video Art” (until 2008: “Friends of the German Film Archive”) and serves as the main venue of the Forum during the Berlinale. The “original” Arsenal in Welserstraße in Berlin-Schöneberg is considered to be the birthplace of this section. The Arsenal has always been one of the most exciting cinemas in Berlin. During the Berlinale, this is the place for controversial discoveries and heated debate. In 1999, Arsenal moved with the “Friends of German Film Archive”, the German Film Museum and the German Film and Television Academy Berlin (dffb) into the “Filmhaus” on Potsdamer Platz. The new location offers two screens fitted with comfortable seating and the latest technology.

Marlene-Dietrich-Platz 1
10785 Berlin

Screens: 1
Seating capacity: 1600
Screen size: 17,6 m x 8,0 m
Handicapped access on all levels

U-/S-Bahn Potsdamer Platz
Bus M41, M48, 200

The Berlinale Palast on Potsdamer Platz is actually a theater for musicals. Every year, for two weeks, it is transformed into the most prestigious venue of the Berlinale. The Competition films celebrate their premiere. A throng of journalists, fans and autograph hunters wait for the stars to appear on the red carpet. The opening and awards ceremonies also take place in the Berlinale Palast.

Potsdamer Straße 5
(Entrance Voxstraße)
10785 Berlin

Screens: 19
Seating capacity: 48 to 603
Screen size: 6,5 m to 22 m
All auditoriums have wheelchair spaces

U-/S-Bahn Potsdamer Platz
Bus M41, M48, 200

CinemaxX on Potsdamer Platz has been the main Berlinale cinema since 2000. From early in the morning till late at night, films in every section - except for Competition and Berlinale Special films - are shown on the theatre’s 19 screens. CinemaxX was built as part of the new development of Potsdamer Platz and was opened in 1998. It offers all the advantages of a well-equipped multiplex cinema. Besides several snack bars, it is also home to the radioeins-xXLounge, where Knut Elstermann hosts his nightly Berlinale talks.

Potsdamer Straße 4
10785 Berlin

Screens: 1
Seating capacity: 330
Screen size: 500 sqm
4 wheelchair spaces

U-/S-Bahn Potsdamer Platz
Bus M41, M48, 200

In the year 2000, the architect Helmut Jahn completed his impressive ensemble of steel and glass on Potsdamer Platz, which is dominated by the circus tent-style roof construction. After a short period of reconstruction, CineStar IMAX was re-opened in October 2013. Featuring the 500-square-meter screen (both Berlin’s largest screen and one of the largest nationwide), CineStar IMAX fascinates with the world’s best 3D technique, perfect projection and 18,000 watts of laser-aligned digital sound.

The Berlinale festival screenings are not an IMAX-Experience®.

Cinestar

Potsdamer Straße 4
10785 Berlin

Screens: 8
Seating capacity: 142 to 419
Screen size: 52 to 131 sqm
All auditoriums have wheelchair spaces

U-/S-Bahn Potsdamer Platz
Bus M41, M48, 200

After the nearby CinemaxX cinema, CineStar is the second most important Berlinale venue. The close proximity of the auditoriums to one another in CineStar creates a great festival atmosphere, which many visitors find especially charming. CineStar has a fully-equipped bar, which can also be accessed from the foyer of the neighbouring Arsenal cinema.

Colosseum

Schönhauser Allee 123
10437 Berlin

Screens: 10 (Berlinale: 1)
Seating capacity: 525
Screen size: 6,5 m x 15,2 m
The theatre is not accessible to wheelchairs

U-/S-Bahn Schönhauser Allee
Tram M1

In the mid-Twenties architects Max Bischoff and Fritz Wilms were hired to convert the old garages of the “Großen Berliner Pferdeeisenbahn AG” (horse railway) on Schönhauser Allee into a cinema. The Colosseum opened its doors for the first time on September 12, 1924 and was the first movie theatre in the working-class district of Prenzlauer Berg in the northeast of Berlin. The long, narrow theatre seated 1,200 people back then and was turned into a talkie theatre with 1,365 seats five years later. In 1957 was refitted to serve as a DEFA premiere cinema. The Colosseum has been operating as a multiplex ever since renewed construction work on the building was completed in 1997. In 2005, the Colosseum hosted Berlinale screenings for the first time.

Alexanderplatz
Rathausstraße 1
10178 Berlin

Screens: 9 (Berlinale: 3)
Seating capacity: 322 to 723
Screen size: 128 sqm to 232 sqm
All theatres are accessible to wheelchairs

U-/S-Bahn Alexanderplatz

In 2007 the CineStar Cubix at Alexanderplatz joined the team of Berlinale cinemas. The festival is showing films on three screens of the multiplex’s theatres. The Cubix combines original architecture with comfort, a sophisticated atmosphere and innovative projection and sound technology. Opened in November 2000, the multiplex was acquired by the CineStar Group in spring 2003 and belongs to the premiere venues of Germany’s largest cinema operator. The theatres are accessed via open escalators. From the spacious foyer levels guests can enjoy a view of the Berlin Dome, Alexanderplatz and the TV Tower. Located directly on Alexanderplatz, the cinema can be easily reached by S-Bahn, U-Bahn (underground), tram and bus. Affordable parking is available in the neighbouring Rathaus-Passagen parking garage.

Kantstraße 12a
10623 Berlin

Screens: 1
Screen size: 100 sqm
Seating capacity: 784 seats
The auditorium is not accessible to wheelchairs

U-/S-Bahn Zoologischer Garten

The Delphi-Filmpalast am Zoo, otherwise known as the Delphi, has been used as a location for the Berlinale almost form the beginning. Since 1981 it has been one of the main venues for the Forum programme, together with the Arsenal cinema. The Delphi-Filmpalast was built in the years after the war practically on the rubble of a former dance-hall. It was opened in 1949 by the cinema owner Walter Jonigkeit, whose aim was to make it the city'’s largest and most elegant cinema for premieres. Today the Delphi’s technology is state-of-the-art, whilst its interior still shines with the glory of a bygone cinematic era.

Zeughofstraße 20
10997 Berlin – Kreuzberg

Screens: 2
Seating capacity: 81 / 49
Screen Size: 5,20m x 2,55m
Both screens are accessible to wheelchairs

U-Bahn Görlitzer Bahnhof U1

Founded in 1981 in a Schöneberg squat. Winter. Moviegoers had to bring warm clothes and blankets, as the stove couldn't get the room to an ideal cinema temperature.
In 1985, the Eiszeit moved to the Wrangelkiez in Berlin's Kreuzberg district, bordered on three sides by the Berlin wall and one of the city's hip underground neighborhoods. Since then, every rock in cinema subculture has been looked under more than a few times and trends are becoming more short lived every day. But the Eiszeit cinema's heart still beats for the maladjusted, for whatever film that ignores or challenges popular preferences - a task that doesn't always mesh with the laws of the market.
Still, the Eiszeit is playing with the thought of converting and expanding to make space for communicative exchange and hanging out, and to make the entrance in the the second courtyard easier to find for new visitors by moving it to the front of the building.

„Berlinale Goes Kiez“-Cinema 2014

Blissestraße 18
10713 Berlin - Wilmersdorf

Screens: 1
Seating capacity: 235
Screen size: 9m x 4m
The auditorium is accessible to wheelchairs / the bathroom is not accessible to wheelchairs

U-Bahn Blissestraße, Bus 101, 104, 249

Opened in 1912, Eva Lichtspiele is the oldest movie theatre in the Wilmersdorf district of Berlin, and since the cinema was hardly damaged in the Second World War, there was never a break in business. In the 1920s, films were screened here with live accompaniment, at first by a violinist and later by a whole orchestra. Many unique features of the building, such as the elegant neon lettering on the façade, are still preserved today. The sophisticated ambiance is complemented by an informal style.

„Berlinale Goes Kiez“-Cinema 2014

Bleibtreustraße 12
10623 Berlin

Screens: 2 (Berlinale: 1)
Seating capacity screen 1: 156
Screen size: 6,90m x 2,95m
The auditorium is accessible to wheelchairs / the bathroom is not accessible to wheelchairs

S-Bahn Savignyplatz S5, S7, S75
U-Bahn Uhlandstraße U1
Bus: M19, M29, M49

filmkunst 66 – founded in 1971 – is one of the oldest, tradition-rich repertory cinemas in Berlin which still stands out from the many movie theatres with its innovative programme. The cinema has received a number of awards for its outstanding film selection. Film producers Regina and Tanja Ziegler acquired the filmkunst 66 cinema on January 1, 2011. Special screenings occur regularly in addition to the excellent daily programme. The cinema underwent comprehensive renovation in November 2012.

„Berlinale Goes Kiez“-Cinema 2014

Modern and cosy

Bötzowstraße 1-5
10407 Berlin

Screens: 5 (Berlinale: 1)
Screen size: 11 m x 4,70 m
Seating capacity: 325
The auditorium is accessible to wheelchairs

Tram M4, Bus 200

With five screens the Filmtheater am Friedrichshain is Berlin’s largest art-house cinema. During the Berlinale the main auditorium plays host to Generation Kplus screenings. The building dates back to the twenties and during its eventful history has been almost continuously used as a cinema. In 1991 it was almost privatised, and it was only when local residents intervened that the cinema was saved from being turned into an office and apartment complex. In 1995 the film-maker Michael Verhoeven bought the building and, with the help of the cinema chain York Kino GmbH, arranged for it to be renovated. Today the Filmtheater am Friedrichshain combines delightful architectural details, dating back to the original building, with all the amenities of a modern interior. The “FaF” is, in fact, one of the city's favourite cinemas, not least because of the generous leg-room and the comfortable double seats.

Friedrichstraße 107
10117 Berlin

Screens: 1
Seating capacity: 1,895
Screen size: ca. 21 m x 9 m
5 wheelchair spaces

U-Bahn Oranienburger Tor
S-Bahn Oranienburger Straße

The Berlinale got a huge boost by gaining the Friedrichstadt-Palast as a venue in 2009. With 1,895 seats, 1,750 of which are available for film screenings, it will be the biggest cinema at the International Film Festival. Here the festival will show movies from the Competition and Berlinale Special Gala sections. Normally the Friedrichstadt-Palast serves as Europe’s largest and most modern show theatre. The Berlin institution has a hundred years of history behind it and was rebuilt in 1984 – on a gigantic scale. The Friedrichstadt-Palast is home to the largest theatre stage in the world. By installing certified, top-range professional cinema equipment every year, the show theatre is transformed into a “film palace” for both weeks of the Berlinale.

Schaperstraße 24
10719 Berlin

Theatres: 2 (Berlinale: 1)
Seating capacity: 986
Screen size: 12,8m x 5,4m
4 wheelchair spaces
Handicapped access on all levels

U-Bahn Spichernstraße
Bus 204, 249

In 2001 the Berliner Festspiele found a congenial home in one of the most significant theatre buildings of post-war Germany. What is today the Haus der Berliner Festspiele was opened in 1963 as the “Theater der Freien Volksbühne” under Erwin Piscator and – alongside the Deutsche Oper Berlin – is one of the best known designs by Berlin architect Fritz Bornemann. Set in a garden, the theatre building opens up towards the city through broad glass façades. The interior continues the democratic ideal of post-war modernist architecture. The action on stage can be equally well seen and heard from any seat in the theatre. The pulsating centre of the festivals and events of the Berliner Festspiele, it presents top quality theatre productions, concerts, readings and discussions by international artists all year long.

John-Foster-Dulles-Allee 10
10557 Berlin

Screens: 2
Seating capacity: 1025 and 385
Screen size: 6 x 14,5 m and 3,5 x 7,5 m
Wheelchair spaces: 6 and 2
Wheelchair access on all levels

S-Bahn Hauptbahnhof
U-Bahn Bundestag
Bus M85, 100

The Haus der Kulturen der Welt is the venue for the premieres of Generation, the Berlinale’s section for children and youths. The building dating to 1957 is one of Berlin’s most extraordinary architectural gems. It is located in the middle of the Tiergarten park, Berlin’s “green lung”, and was originally used as a convention centre. The building with its remarkable roof was the US contribution to the INTERBAU 57 International Building Exhibition and was built according to the plans of Hugh Stubbins, a pupil of Walter Gropius. Berliners – famous for their on-the-mark humour - soon nicknamed the new landmark the “pregnant oyster”. In 1980, however, the roof collapsed, killing a journalist. After a thorough investigation into the collapse, the Berlin Senate decided to rebuild it – a process which took five years.

Karl-Marx-Allee 33
10178 Berlin

Screens: 1
Seating capacity: 551
Screen size: 14 m x 6 m
The auditorium has wheelchair access

U-Bahn Schillingstraße
S-Bahn Alexanderplatz

Many Berliners consider the International to be the most beautiful cinema in the city. Built between 1961 and 1964, it belongs to the most impressive buildings of “GDR modernism”. A classical movie theatre with a grand foyer, twin staircases, comfortable seating, exquisite paneling and a sequined curtain in front of the screen, the International still exudes the atmosphere of a time when it was a show-piece of an optimistic GDR culture. During the Berlinale, films from the Panorama, the Competition, the Berlinale Special and the Berlinale Classics are shown here. Selected Panorama films are premiered at the International.

Niederkirchnerstraße 7
10963 Berlin

Screens: 1
Seating capacity: 200
Screen Size: 7,2 m x 3,2m
The auditorium has wheelchair access

5 min walk from Potsdamer Platz, Shuttle Service

U-/S-Bahn Potsdamer Platz
Bus M41, M48, 200

The building was constructed as an arts and crafts museum in 1881, in accordance with plans by the architect Martin Gropius. Ever since, it has served almost continually as a location for art and culture. Today, the Martin-Gropius-Bau is one of the most-visited exhibition spaces in Berlin.
During the Berlinale the building provides a prestigious setting for the European Film Market (EFM) and creates a communicative atmosphere with it’s open architecture. The Martin-Gropius-Bau is home to a fully-equipped 200-seat cinema, which is available for EFM and Culinary Cinema screenings during the festival.

Karl-Marx-Straße 131
12043 Berlin - Neukölln

Screens: 4 (Berlinale: 1)
Seating capacity (Auditorium 1): 220
Screen Size: 8,9m x 4,2m
The auditorium is accessible to wheelchairs

U-Bahn Karl-Marx-Straße U8

Right in the heart of arty Neukölln, you will find the Passage Kino, which exudes the atmosphere of the movie palaces of bygone times. In the four theatres of this architecturally exceptional cinema, the visitor will find a wide selection of films - including a diverse number of film series and festivals. And everyone can enjoy the most comfortable of cinema seats and an optimal viewing situation.
The jewel of the Passage is theatre 1. The two-story cinema has a fascinating, engrossing theatre-like ambiance. Unusual for a cinema are the swinging glass doors, which make it possible to use the space for events with daylight. A special movable screen makes it possible to convert the stage space to a full theatre stage.

„Berlinale Goes Kiez“-Cinema 2014

Herbert-von-Karajan-Str. 1
10785 Berlin

Screens: 2 (Berlinale: 1)
Seating capacity (Main Auditorium): 1500
Screen Size: 10m x 8m
Accessible to wheelchairs

U-/S-Bahn Potsdamer Platz
Bus M29, M41, M48, M85, 200

The Berliner Philharmonie has been regarded as a groundbreaking example of the modern concert hall since its opening in 1963. At the edge of Berlin's Tiergarten, architect Hans Scharoun created a building with an equally idiosyncratic and unique form; in doing so, he made the traditional mold for concert halls a thing of the past. The shimmering, yellow-gold, tentlike structure with its threefold curved roofline is a milestone of 20th century architecture, and lends the building its globally unmistakable silhouette. The concert hall, which seats over 2400 visitors, is home to concerts by the Berliner Philharmoniker, as well as host to concerts by the best orchestras in the world and internationally renowned soloists.
On Sunday, February 9, 2014, the 64th Berlin International Film Festival will present the world premiere of the digitally restored version of Robert Wiene’s masterpiece Das Cabinet des Dr. Caligari (The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari, Germany 1920) in the large concert hall at the Berliner Philharmonie.

Rudolf-Breitscheid-Str. 50
14482 Potsdam-Babelsberg

Screens: 4 (Berlinale: 1)
Seating capacity screen 1: 349
Screen size: 13m x 5,5m
The auditorium is accessible to wheelchairs

S-Bahn Babelsberg S7
Tram Wattstraße T94, T99

The Thalia Programm Kino is located in Potsdam-Babelsberg. The cinema dates back to 1917. In 1996, the Thalia was closed for a year and re-opened in its current form with four screens and a total of 709 seats. In 2001 it became the Thalia Programm Kino. A “miniplex” with highly commercial films was transformed into an art house cinema, which has received awards for its exceptional programme every year since 2003. The cinema also received the price for best programming for Children- and Youth films 2011 awarded by the Minister of State in the Federal Chancellery and Federal Government Commissioner for Culture and the Media Bernd Neumann.
Alongside numerous film series and the family programme, directors, producers, actors and experts are often invited to take part in film discussions in the cinema. Since 2004, the cinema has been a member of Europa Cinemas.

„Berlinale Goes Kiez“-Cinema 2014

Kino Toni; Photo: Veiko Hübner

Antonplatz 1
13086 Berlin - Weißensee

Screens: 2 (Berlinale:1)
Seating capacity (Auditorium 1): 255
Screen size: 48sqm
The auditorium is accessible to wheelchairs

Tram Antonplatz M4, M13, 12

The Kino Toni theatre in Weißensee has a long tradition: It was opened in 1920 as a silent film theatre, which caused a real sensation at the time. The Toni, designed and constructed as both, a cinema and an apartment building, suffered only little damage in the Second World War, but had to be renovated under Soviet command. Its repainted screen and illuminated showcases soon made it the eye-catcher on Antonplatz. In 1979, the Toni, a listed building, became the last cinema in East Berlin to be transferred from private to public property. After reunification, it was bought by director Michael Verhoeven, who had it renovated in 1995/1996 and added a second auditorium called Tonino.

“Berlinale Goes Kiez” Cinema 2014

Unter den Linden 2
10117 Berlin

Screens: 1
Size: 35 sqm
Seating capacity: 160
4 wheelchair spaces

S-Bahn Hackescher Markt
U Französische Straße
U-Bahn Hausvogteiplatz
Bus 100, 200, TXL

The Zeughaus cinema is in the DHM, the German Historical Museum. This is located right next to the Museum Island in the heart of Berlin’s historical centre, in the Mitte district. The cinema re-opened its doors to the public after the German Historical Museum was completely renovated, and even partly re-built, by the Chinese architect I.M. Pei in 2001. The cinema's auditorium is listed as a historical monument and since 2004 has been one of the venues which plays host to the Berlinale Retrospective.

Hardenbergstraße 29a
10623 Berlin

Screens: 7
Seating capacity: 1,650 all in all
Screen sizes:
Screen 1: 21 m x 8,80 m
Screen 2: 6,20 m x 14,80 m
Screen 3: 5,75 m x 11,80 m
Screen 4: 5,85 m x 14,00 m
Screen 5: 5,05 m x 12,05 m
Clubkino A and B: 3,25 m x 6,00 m
All theatres but the Clubkino B are accessible to wheelchairs

U-/S-Bahn Zoologischer Garten
U-Bahn Kurfürstendamm

The Zoo Palast opened its doors in November 2013 after nearly three years of reconstruction. Its seven theatres, each individually refurbished in accordance with historical monument guidelines, offer a total of 1,650 wide, reclining leather seats and generous legroom. Up to 850 guests can be housed in the main auditorium during the Berlinale.
For many decades the Zoo Palast cinema was the heart and soul of the Berlinale. In the first few years of its existence the festival was spread between various different cinemas in West Berlin. It wasn't until 1957 that a proper festival cinema was built in the form of the Zoo Palast. Until 1999 the Zoo Palast remained both the Berlinale's home and the venue for the premieres of films in the Competition section. The cinema's main auditorium with seating capacity for over 1000 people saw film history in the making. Starting in 2014, the Zoo Palast will once again be a regular Berlinale venue.